Conversion Tracking allows our customers to see the value they are getting from Yext measured in impressions, clicks, and conversions.
This article provides definitions of Conversion Tracking metrics, as well as an understanding of how we track this data.
- A Click is counted each time a user clicks or taps on an element that engages with a Yext product.
- E.g., a click from Google to your Yext-powered listing, or a tap on a Get Directions button on your Yext-powered Pages. See below for a full list of examples.
Measurable Click Examples:
Below is a list of example clicks that fit our definition, which we are able to measure:
- Clicks on a 3rd party (e.g., Google) organic search result that leads to:
- A Yext-hosted web page
- A Yext-hosted directory
- A Yext-hosted locator
- A non-Yext-hosted web page with the Listings Tag installed
- A page with Knowledge Tags
- A Yext-powered listing on another publisher
- Clicks on a phone call, driving directions, or website CTA for:
- A Yext-powered listing in a local pack
- A Yext-powered listing from the Yelp SERP
- Clicks on a CTA on:
- A Yext-hosted page
- A Yext Search result
Unmeasurable Click Examples:
Below is a list of example clicks that fit our definition, but we are unable to measure because the data is not available.
- Clicks on a driving directions or phone call CTA on a Yext-powered Bing listing.
- Bing does not provide driving directions or phone call click data.
- Website clicks on Yelp and Apple, as they do not allow tracking parameters.
Clicks We Don't Count:
These are clicks that do not fit our definition:
- Clicking on a paid Google Ad
- This is not counted as a Click because it is not a result of Yext products.
- Clicking on an organic search result for a non-Yext page
- This is not counted as a Click because the page is not hosted by Yext.
How we Measure Clicks
- We do not dedupe clicks. If the same user clicks, goes back, and clicks the same link again, we count that as two clicks.
- All Clicks are treated as behavioral clicks (not acquisition clicks), meaning we measure them from the perspective of the page where they occur, and not from the perspective of the page to which they link.
Listing clicks are reported to us from the publishers in the Yext Publisher Network. As a result, it is possible that not all clicks are tracked, as not all publishers support all Click Types, and some publishers don’t return any Click data.
Clicks from third-party sites to Yext Pages, Knowledge Tags, and Search-based web pages:
Clicks on Yext Pages, Knowledge Tags, and Search-based web pages:
The definition of what constitutes a Conversion is entirely up to you. A Conversion is counted each time a Conversion Action is triggered using our Conversion Tag. We only count Conversions that we can attribute to Clicks that are a result of Yext products.
How we measure Conversions
- Note, Conversions that cannot be associated with a Click on a Yext-powered property are not counted.
There are many reasons that our Conversion Tracking metrics may be an undercount of the true value:
- Many Clicks attributable to Yext products occur on Media that do not provide us with reporting data.
- Many publishers do not report all Clicks.
- For example, Google does not report Detail Clicks.
- Tag-based Conversion Actions can’t be counted for users who opt-out of using cookies.
- If a user Clicks on one device (with one cookie), and Converts on another device (with a different cookie), we won’t be able to attribute the Conversion to their prior Click.
Rather than estimate the quantity of these missed Clicks and Conversions, we have chosen to simply accept that our data is likely an undercount of the true value. This is to ensure that you have full confidence that every Click and Conversion we report is real, and have maximum trust in our data.