This article walks explains how to add or adjust schema.org markup using Knowledge Tags. By default, built-in entity types will already have schema.org markup based on the entity type. However, because custom entities don’t have a set of predefined Knowledge Graph fields, you will need to manually configure the schema.org markup to ensure that your pages are eligible for rich search results.
Note: Knowledge Tags schema.org markup is configured per entity type, so every entity of the same type will have the same schema.org markup. For example, if you customize the schema.org markup for a hotel entity, that same schema.org markup will apply to all hotel entities using Knowledge Tags.
To add or adjust schema.org markup through Knowledge Tags:
- Click Pages in the top navigation bar.
- Click on the Knowledge Tags sub-tab.
- Click on the Add Knowledge Tags to Website button. A dialog box appears.
- Click on the Select Entity button and select the desired entity.
- If applicable, select your desired locale.
- Click on the Customize schema.org markup link. This will open a Code Editor and a Field Reference section.
- In the Code Editor, if necessary, replace the value for @type based on the appropriate schema.org Type. This process differs depending on whether you are creating markup for a built-in entity type or custom entity type.
- For custom entity types you will either need to hardcode the @type, or create a custom field and use a variable to map to that field. For steps to create a custom field, see Add a Custom Field.
- For built-in entity types, you don't necessarily need to do anything to change the @type.
- To set a specific category for Schema that may be different from the category in the Knowledge Graph, see Advanced Category Management and select the Schema category list to override the category.
- Add any additional Properties for that Type.
- For more information on recommendations for Properties by Type, see Google’s Structured Data Reference.
- Assign values to the Properties.
- Click Save. A dialog box appears.
- Click Save to confirm that you would like to apply these changes to the schema.org markup for all entities of this type.